Syncrude is one of the largest operators in Canada’s oil sands industry, with an over 50-year history of innovation. Based in Fort McMurray, Alberta, and with a large research and development facility in Edmonton, Syncrude is known for pioneering many of the technologies used in the industry, including an expanding suite of techniques to improve environmental and economic performance.
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. was incorporated in 1964 and started operations in 1978.
- As one of Canada's largest and longest running oil sands operations, Syncrude's cumulative production exceeds 2.8 billion barrels. From 2013 - 2017, we contributed $31.7 billion to Canada’s economy through the payment of wages, royalties and taxes and procurement of goods and services.
- Syncrude currently employs approximately 4,700 people directly and an average of about 1,100 contractor employees. Our operations provide jobs for many more thousands of people directly and indirectly across Canada.
- Syncrude is also a recognized leader in Indigenous relations, with total cumulative procurement of over $3 billion ($342 million in 2017) from Aboriginal companies and our status as one of the country’s largest employers of Indigenous people.
- We are consistently among Canada’s top investors in research and development, spending $74.5 million in 2017 alone. Over half of these expenditures are focused on environmental projects such as our reclamation research programs and collaborative efforts through Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA).
- To date, more than 4,800 hectares of land disturbed by Syncrude oil sands mining operations is permanently reclaimed or ready for re-vegetation, including 215 hectares in 2017. We have planted more than 8.5 million tree and shrub seedlings, including 402,500 in 2017. In 2008, Syncrude was the first company in the Canadian oil sands industry to receive certification from the Alberta government for a reclaimed area. Called Gateway Hill, the area was planted in the early 1980s and is now a healthy forest of deciduous and coniferous trees interspersed by several small wetlands.
- Our corporate headquarters are located in Fort McMurray, about 440 kilometres northeast of Edmonton, Alberta. Our Mildred Lake facility is 40 kilometres north of the city, with our Aurora project located an additional 35 kilometres north of Mildred Lake. Our operations are found on the Athabasca Oil Sands Deposit.
- The Syncrude Project is a joint venture undertaking among Imperial Oil Resources Limited; CNOOC Oil Sands Canada; Sinopec Oil Sands Partnership; and Suncor Energy Inc. (with the Suncor interest held by Canadian Oil Sands Partnership #1 and Suncor Energy Ventures Partnership, both wholly owned affiliates of Suncor Energy Inc.).