For more than 30 years, Syncrude has provided financial support to students attending educational institutions in Alberta. We’re proud to have helped thousands of students get the education they need to build successful careers in a variety of disciplines, including engineering, trades, nursing, education and environmental sciences. And we are pleased to continue to offer assistance through numerous scholarships and awards.
Through significant endowments and scholarships at several Alberta education institutions, Syncrude supports hundreds of students pursuing studies in a variety of fields. Many of the awards are prioritized for Aboriginal and northern Alberta recipients.
Rod Hyde Indigenous Award
Rod Hyde devoted more than 30 years to the students and community of Fort McKay as principal of the Fort McKay School. In 2006, Syncrude started the Rod Hyde Indigenous Education Award to honour Rod’s commitment to promoting education and encouraging students.
Every year, Syncrude provides one $2,000 award to an Indigenous student from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo who is pursuing post-secondary education at a recognized post-secondary institution. See below to download the criteria and the application form.
Syncrude Higher Education Awards Program
Every year, the Syncrude Higher Education Awards Program (SHEAP) provides financial support to hundreds of employees’ and retirees’ dependent children. Students enrolled in full-time degree and diploma programs that are at least two years in length may be eligible. (The program is not restricted to educational institutions in Alberta). See below for the SHEAP guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions.
Keyano College, Fort McMurray
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. Nursing Entrance Scholarship (1)
- Charles Ruigrok Syncrude Canada Ltd. Athletic Award (2)
- Marjorie Sullivan Endowment Award – Business Administration or University Studies (1)
- Scott Sullivan Endowment Award – Trades or Power Engineering & Process Operations (1)
- Mark Ward Aboriginal Endowment Award (1)
Athabasca University, Athabasca
- The Syncrude/Athabasca University Aboriginal Scholarship
MacEwan University, Edmonton
- Syncrude Bachelor of Science in Engineering Award (1)
- Syncrude Bachelor of Commerce Aboriginal Award (2)
- Stephen Mandel Aboriginal Business Award (1)
University of Alberta, Edmonton
- Dr. Jim Carter Syncrude Mining Scholarship
- Syncrude Award in Conservation and Environmental Sciences
- Dr. Elsie Yanik Scholarship in Nursing
- Dr. Elsie Yanik Scholarship in Native Studies
NorQuest College, Edmonton
- Jim Carter Aboriginal Student Award (4)
Mount Royal University, Calgary
- Eric P. Newell Scholarship
Portage College, Lac La Biche
- Syncrude University Studies Scholarship (2 – Aboriginal students only)
Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board
- Syncrude Aboriginal Scholarship
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. Aboriginal Woman Scholarship
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. Aboriginal Heavy Equipment Technician Scholarship
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. RAP Scholarship