Syncrude is one of the largest operators in Canada’s growing oil sands industry, with an over 50-year history of innovation. Based in Fort McMurray, Alberta, and with a large research and development facility in Edmonton, Syncrude is known for pioneering many of the technologies used today in the industry, including an expanding suite of techniques to improve environmental and economic performance.
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. was incorporated in 1964 and started operations in 1978.
- Current production capacity is 350,000 barrels per day of high quality light, low sulphur crude oil – enough to supply 6.2 million Canadians with their petroleum requirements. Cumulative production now exceeds 2.4 billion barrels. From 2012 - 2016, we contributed $34 billion to Canada’s economy through the payment of wages, royalties and taxes and procurement of goods and services.
- Syncrude currently employs approximately 4,700 people directly and an average of about 2,400 contractor employees. Our operations provide jobs for many more thousands of people directly and indirectly across Canada.
- Syncrude is also a recognized leader in Indigenous relations, with total cumulative procurement of over $2.6 billion ($174 million in 2016) from Aboriginal companies in 2016 and our status as one of the country’s largest employers of Indigenous people.
- We are consistently among Canada’s top investors in research and development, spending $68.9 million in 2016 alone. More than 60% of these expenditures are focused on environmental research.
- To date, more than 4,500 hectares of land disturbed by Syncrude oil sands mining operations is permanently reclaimed or ready for re-vegetation, including 126 hectares in 2016. We have planted more than 8.1 million tree and shrub seedlings, including 400,000 seedlings planted in 2016. In 2008, Syncrude was the first company in the Canadian oil sands industry to receive certification from the Alberta government for a reclaimed area. Called Gateway Hill, the area was planted in the early 1980s and is now a healthy forest of deciduous and coniferous trees interspersed by several small wetlands.
- Our corporate headquarters are located in Fort McMurray, about 440 kilometres northeast of Edmonton, Alberta. Our Mildred Lake facility is 40 kilometres north of the city, with our Aurora project located an additional 35 kilometres north of Mildred Lake. Our operations are found on the Athabasca Oil Sands Deposit.
The Syncrude Project is a joint venture undertaking among Imperial Oil Resources Limited; Mocal Energy Limited; Nexen Oil Sands Partnership; Sinopec Oil Sands Partnership; and Suncor Energy Inc. (with the Suncor interest held by Canadian Oil Sands Partnership #1 and Suncor Energy Ventures Partnership, both wholly owned affiliates of Suncor Energy Inc.).