Sorrentino’s Compassion House is a home away from home for Western Canadian women battling breast cancer.
Community Investment Program
“While fighting cancer may be filled with uncertainty, it doesn’t need to be a lonely journey,” says Syncrude CEO Mark Ward.
Fashion with Compassion
Syncrude is proud to help roll out the red carpet to support women fighting breast cancer, at the annual Fashion with Compassion event in Edmonton on October 29. This heart-felt event is the annual fundraiser for Compassion House Foundation, in support of Sorrentino's Compassion House.
Located in close proximity to the Cross Cancer Institute, Sorrentino’s Compassion House is a home away from home for women battling breast cancer who live outside Edmonton and area. It has created a safe haven for hundreds of women fighting the disease since it opened more than a decade ago.
After moving to Alberta last year and learning about the Compassion House Foundation, Syncrude CEO Mark Ward was honoured when he was asked to serve as a member of the Board. For him, it was a personal calling.
“I’ve been personally touched by cancer in my family, having lost my mom, father and sister to the disease. For me, volunteering my time helps me honour the memory of my late family,” says Mark. “The hundreds of patients Compassion House helps also includes many women from my own community, Fort McMurray. Connections like these make the care this organization provides all the more personal to me.”
Women from throughout Western Canada have felt the comforts of Compassion House. Eighty-five percent of patients come from across Alberta, with British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Northwest Territories making up the remainder.
“While fighting cancer may be filled with uncertainty, it doesn’t need to be a lonely journey,” adds Mark. “That’s where this great organization comes in, and opens its doors to women in need.”
Compassion House has 14 guest suites, with the heart of the house being a huge kitchen where guests gather to cook meals, socialize and share their experiences. To make treatment even more accessible, a free shuttle that ferries guests to and from the Cross Cancer Institute for appointments is available.
Syncrude has been a long-time supporter of Sorrentino’s Compassion House, including the Fashion with Compassion event along with renovations and expansion of the home.
Syncrude is proud to support organizations
Syncrude is proud to support organizations and endeavours in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo and Edmonton that improve education, environment, health and safety, science and technology, Aboriginal and community development, arts and culture and recreation.
We donate $6 million annually to community organizations and initiatives.
How we provide assistance
We may provide assistance in the form of funds, materials/equipment or employees' time and expertise for projects that fall within these categories:
- Education and lifelong learning projects which can’t be funded by local school boards and/or institutions of higher learning.
- Organizations or events dealing with the environment and health and safety.
- Community development projects that enhance community facilities and activities. Projects must be self-supporting in the future and reflect the needs and interests of a wide number of people (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo only).
- Arts and culture projects or organizations such as theatre, concerts, film and exhibitions that further the arts, entertain or inform (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo only).
- Recreational projects that promote health and fitness and organizations promoting amateur sports (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo only).
- Science and technology projects or organizations that encourage partnerships and promote oil sands technology.
Over the last five years, we’ve donated over $23 million to the communities in which our employees work and play.
Syncrude considers a number of criteria when selecting community investment projects, including:
- Privately-initiated projects or programs (rather than government-funded)
- Potential benefit to the community and community support
- The applicant’s contributions to the project
- The applicant’s initiative, planning, assessment of community need and collaborations with other organizations
- Support from multi-stakeholder groups
- Relationship to the oil sands industry, ability to encourage broad public support for Syncrude and opportunity for our employees to use their talents and expertise
- Sound and measurable objectives, a well-planned approach and a high probability of producing meaningful, positive results
- Financial need based on assessment of past revenue sources and use of funds
- One-time contributions are favoured over recurring needs but long term, multi-year projects are considered based on significant corporate exposure and enduring benefits
- Other criteria may also be considered
Ineligible Organizations and Projects
The following organizations and projects are not eligible for community investment funding from Syncrude:
- Individuals in pursuit of activities wherein that individual is the sole beneficiary;
- Organized Labour, Political Parties, Election Campaigns and Religious or cultural organizations in nature;
- Organizations solely designed to provide a service to other Syncrude employees, i.e. Club 63 North Social Club;
- Expenses and fees related to travel, meetings, conferences, forums, registration, remuneration, honourariums, fellowships and living;
- For-profit organizations regardless of its mandate, function or service;
- All "sanctioned" fundraising campaigns conducted on Syncrude's property during scheduled working hours wherein employees are asked to participate in the campaign while receiving their regular salaries will not be eligible for this program; i.e. Syncrude Employee United Way Campaign;
- Syncrude employees that are on secondment.
Syncrude’s Community Investment Application
At this time, our online system is undergoing upgrades. If you have an application or proposal to submit, please email email@example.com