Community Investment Program
Syncrude is proud to support organizations
Syncrude is proud to support organizations and endeavours in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo and Edmonton that improve education, environment, health and safety, science and technology, Aboriginal and community development, arts and culture and recreation.
Anti-bullying takes centre stage at Library Speaker Series
Syncrude is proud to team-up with the Wood Buffalo Regional Library to promote literacy and bring an inspiring and thought provoking speaker to our region, through the new Centre Stage Speaker Series. Learn more about internationally renowned spoken word artist, Shane Koyczan. Click here.
We donate on average $6 million annually to community organizations and initiatives.
How we provide assistance
We may provide assistance in the form of funds, materials/equipment or employees' time and expertise for projects that fall within these categories:
- Education and lifelong learning projects which can’t be funded by local school boards and/or institutions of higher learning.
- Organizations or events dealing with the environment and health and safety.
- Community development projects that enhance community facilities and activities. Projects must be self-supporting in the future and reflect the needs and interests of a wide number of people (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo only).
- Arts and culture projects or organizations such as theatre, concerts, film and exhibitions that further the arts, entertain or inform (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo only).
- Recreational projects that promote health and fitness and organizations promoting amateur sports (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo only).
- Science and technology projects or organizations that encourage partnerships and promote oil sands technology.
Over the last five years, we’ve donated over $30 million to the communities in which our employees work and live.
Syncrude considers a number of criteria when selecting community investment projects, including:
- Privately-initiated projects or programs (rather than government-funded)
- Potential benefit to the community and community support
- The applicant’s contributions to the project
- The applicant’s initiative, planning, assessment of community need and collaborations with other organizations
- Support from multi-stakeholder groups
- Relationship to the oil sands industry, ability to encourage broad public support for Syncrude and opportunity for our employees to use their talents and expertise
- Sound and measurable objectives, a well-planned approach and a high probability of producing meaningful, positive results
- Financial need based on assessment of past revenue sources and use of funds
- One-time contributions are favoured over recurring needs but long term, multi-year projects are considered based on significant corporate exposure and enduring benefits
- Other criteria may also be considered
Ineligible Organizations and Projects
The following organizations and projects are not eligible for community investment funding from Syncrude:
- Individuals in pursuit of activities wherein that individual is the sole beneficiary;
- Organized Labour, Political Parties, Election Campaigns and Religious or cultural organizations in nature;
- Organizations solely designed to provide a service to other Syncrude employees, i.e. Club 63 North Social Club;
- Expenses and fees related to travel, meetings, conferences, forums, registration, remuneration, honourariums, fellowships and living;
- For-profit organizations regardless of its mandate, function or service;
- All "sanctioned" fundraising campaigns conducted on Syncrude's property during scheduled working hours wherein employees are asked to participate in the campaign while receiving their regular salaries will not be eligible for this program; i.e. Syncrude Employee United Way Campaign;
- Syncrude employees that are on secondment.
Syncrude’s Community Investment Application
At this time, our online system is undergoing upgrades. If you have an application or proposal to submit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org